I am researching novel and sustainable methods for plastic waste management, particularly focusing on solar thermal technologies.
M.S. Sustainable Energy Engineering Aug. 2015 — July 2018KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden
B.S. Earth and Atmospheric Science Aug. 2008 — Dec. 2012Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, GA, USA
- Thesis: Applications of Solar Thermal Technology for Plastic Waste Management in Developing Communities. Supervisor: Miroslav Petrov, Heat & Power Technology, Industrial Engineering & Management (ITM), KTH Royal Institute of Technology (2018).
- In final review stages: Mewes, D., Sujessy, L., The Application of a Solar Parabolic Trough Collector for the Melting of Plastic Waste, ARChive/Springer, Cairo, (2018). Primary author.
- Asef, P., Perpina, R., Barzegaran, M.R., Lapthorn, A., Mewes, D., Load identification of different Halbach-array topologies on permanent magnet synchronous generators using the coupled field-circuit FE methodology. Electric Power Systems Research (2018).
- Asef, P., Perpina, R., Barzegaran, M.R., Lapthorn, A., Mewes, D., Multi-objective Design Optimization Using Dual-Level Response Surface Methodology and Booth's Algorithm for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generators IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion (2017).
- Mewes, D, Monslave, P., Gustafsson, I., Hasan, B., Palen, J., Nakakido, R., Capobianchi, E., Österlund, B., Evaluation Methods for Photovoltaic Installations on Existing Buildings at the KTH Campus in Stockholm, Sweden. Energy Procedia (2017). Primary author.
Worked with Dr. Kim Cobb’s paleoclimate research & lab group as an undergraduate student with field work in Mulu National Park, Borneo, Malaysia. Acknowledged under name “Danja Mewes” in papers from associated researchers on the project:
- Carolin, S.A., Cobb, K.M., Lynch-Stieglitz, J., Moerman, J.W., Partin, J.W., Lejau, S., Malang, J., Clark, B., Tuen, A.A., Adkins, J.F., Northern Borneo stalagmite records reveal West Pacific hydroclimate across MIS 5 and 6. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 2016.
- Moerman, J.W., Regional hydrology captured in northern Borneo rainwater and dripwater isotope variability, 2015. [Dissertation].
- Moerman, J.W., Cobb, K.M., Partin, J.W., Meckler, A.N., Carolin, S.A., Adkins, J.F., Lejau, S., Malang, J., Clark, B., Tuen, A.A., Transformation of ENSO‐related rainwater to dripwater δ18O variability by vadose water mixing. Geophysical Research Letters, 2014.
- Carolin, S.A., Geochemistry of karst deposits in Borneo detailing hydroclimate variations in the Warm Pool across the late Pleistocene, 2014. [Dissertation].
- IEREK Improving Sustainability Concept in Developing Countries. Cairo, Egypt. Presented: The Application of a Solar Parabolic Trough Collector for the Melting of Plastic Waste, Dec. 2017.
- IEREK Alternative and Renewable Energy Quest in Architecture and Urbanism. Barcelona, Spain. Presented: Evaluation Methods for Photovoltaic Installations on Existing Buildings at the KTH Campus in Stockholm, Sweden., Feb. 2017.
- ICS International Congress of Speleology. Brno, Czech Republic., Attended, July 2013.
Field Work & Research
Project Manager, EWB Solar Powered Recycling Jan- 2017 — CurrentKTH Royal Institute of Technology, SwedenAs part of engineers Without Borders (EWB), founded an EWB project and developed and tested a prototype solar thermal parabolic trough for plastic waste recycling. Current plans include implementation in Bali, Indonesia through the NGO ROLE Foundation.
Technical Lead, EWB Wind Power for Tanzania Oct. 2015 — Aug. 2017KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden & TanzaniaWorked with prototypes, workshop arrangement and grant proposals for EWB KTH related to a project in Tanzania in July 2017 where we constructed a 1 KW Hugh-Piggott wind turbine in conjunction with a local team in Singida, Tanzania and the NGO I Love Windpower Tanzania. (Technical lead: 2017, team member: 2015-2017)
Assistant, Mo i Rana Cave Geology Expedition Aug. 2013Under Dr. Stein-Erik Lauritzen, University of Bergen, Norway Assisted with cave surveys and other geological measurements of granite caves in Norway located near the Arctic Circle.
Paleoclimatology Undergraduate Research Assistant Oct. 2011 — Nov. 2011Mulu, Borneo, under Dr. Kim Cobb, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA I assisted with collecting samples in Mulu National Park, Borneo, for paleoclimatology studies of graduate students in Dr. Cobb's lab, and designed my own system to allow microclimate measurements to be taken in cave running off a LiOn battery setup. The data from my study is being incorporated in a paper currently in progress at the University of Bergen.
NSF Undergraduate Research Assistant Jan. 2010 — Aug. 2010Under Dr. Greg Huey, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA As an NSF Student Field Assistant in Atmospheric Chemistry, I participated in a research expedition to Greenland, where I worked for a month at Summit Station, the US outpost on the ice sheet. I measured NOx levels, and wrote Python & IGOR scripts to analyze data under the supervision of Dr. Greg Huey. I also worked in Dr. Huey's laboratory from January through May prior to the expedition.
Duke University TIP Astrophysics Summer Program July 2005Pisgah National Observatory, USA The Duke TIP Astrophysics program at the Pisgah National Observatory allowed high-achieving high school students to perform research activities in a summer camp. I calculated the size of the black hole at the center of the Andromeda Galaxy using radio telescopes at PARI, in North Carolina.
Self-Employed January 2005 — PresentWeb and Print Designer
- Specializing in websites for small businesses, academics and non-profits
- Designed websites for 4 clients
- Focused on cross-browser compatibility and social media integration
Camp Scene June 2012 — August 2012Environmental Educator
- Instructed youth ages 5-12 on a variety of outdoor activities such as climbing, caving and canoeing
- Daily instruction included scientific and sustainability lessons
- Led outdoor activities in group environments
Georgia Tech Student Center August 2009 — August 2012Student Web Assistant
- Created a j-query based interactive facilities map and worked on several other projects
- Responsibilities included updating the weekly movie and responding to requests such as job board updates and form building
- Acquired a working knowledge of SharePoint, the content management system now used by the IT department
- Often interacted with the IT department to accomplish goals (such as the facilities map) and acquire approval for projects
Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech January 2010 — August 2010Student Lab Assistant
- Worked on equipment and created programs to analyze data for Greg Huey's Atmospheric Science Lab.
- Accomponied the equipment to the Greenland along with other students ice sheet (Summit Station) in June of 2010
- Created programs to take in data and output graphs (using IGOR) such as a wind rose and custom Python scripts that I wrote.
Born: Daniela "Danja" Mewes, July 1990. Dual citizen: USA & Germany
- English - native
- German - B2+
- Swedish - A2
- Spanish - A2
- Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite
- MATLAB, IGOR, R, Python, C, Java
- CSS, HTML, XML, PHP, SQL, XML, J-Query, JS, Joomla, Wordpress (I designed this CV with CSS)
- 3D printing, Arduino & microprocessors, soldering & circuit design
- Flow meters, humidity & temperature sensors, ADCP, 3D mapping, GIS
Awards & Grants
- KTH Opportunities Fund 2017-2018: 20,000 SEK granted by the KTH Alumni Foundation for the Solar-Powered Recycling project.
- KTH Sustainability Grant 2017: 50,000 SEK granted for the Solar-Powered Recycling project.
- Clean Tech Challenge Sweden Winner, Spring 2017. Finalist Competitor for International Clean Tech Challenge at the London Business School.
- KTH Opportunities Fund 2016-2017: 44,000 SEK granted by the KTH Alumni Foundation for the Solar-Powered Recycling project.
- Runner-Up team in the India Unlimited Hackathon - Stockholm 2016.
- HOPE Scholarship (awarded to High School students with a 3.0 GPA ), 2008-2010.
- Duke University Talent Identification Program - Received a scholarship for a 2 week summer study at PARI, the Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute, 2005.
- Kim Cobb, Ph.D., Professor, Georgia Institute of Technology , Earth and Atmospheric Science. Ford Environmental Science and Technology Building, 311 Ferst Drive, Atlanta GA 30332-0340 USA. Email: email@example.com
- Mark Smith, Ph.D., Professor, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, IT Product Development, Institut för Tillämpad Informationsteknik. Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan, Electrum 418, Isafjordsgatan 26,164 40 Kista, Sweden. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Martial Taillefert, Ph.D., Professor, Georgia Institute of Technology, Earth and Atmospheric Science. Ford Environmental Science and Technology Building, 311 Ferst Drive, Atlanta GA 30332-0340 USA. Email: email@example.com